On July 18, 2016, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced that there will be a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) on September 28, 2016, at 2:20pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). All EAS Participants are required to participate during the National EAS Test, and they must register with the FCC’s new EAS reporting system by August 26, 2016. Continue reading EAS National Test Deadlines Announced
Each year, Drinker Biddle lawyers contribute to the Practising Law Institute (PLI) Telecommunications Law Answer Book, an annually published, 600-plus page comprehensive overview of the legal and regulatory issues faced by the telecommunications industry.
Washington, D.C., partner Laura Phillips served as Editor. This year’s contributors include: partners Darren Cahr, Michael Daly, Mark Dever, Seamus Duffy, Eduardo Guzmán, Andrew Kassner and Joanne Lewers; counsel Katherine Armstrong; of counsel Lee Petro and Michael Remington; and associates Anthony Glosson, Cynthia Irani, Camillie Landrón, Nathan Pollard, Jeremiah Posedel, Jennifer Roussil and Patrick Thompson.
The book provides a comprehensive overview of the recent Congressional and FCC initiatives on data privacy and security and the restrictions on foreign ownership of U.S. communications companies regulated by the FCC, as well as other topics, including:
- A full discussion of the 2015 Open Internet rules, recently upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit on June 14, 2016;
- An update on the FCC’s actions to permit ILECs to retire their copper plants and the consumer information requirements when ILECs reduce or discontinue traditional wireline services;
- A review of the new rules for radio stations transitioning their public files to an online database;
- An update on recent social media issues, including ownership of social media accounts and the FTC’s regulation of native advertising practices; and
- A discussion of the FCC’s recent actions regarding the Incentive Auction, and new opportunities for the experimental use of spectrum.
For more information on the book, please click here.